3 Reasons To Start Documenting Your Processes





Processes are the set of steps you take to execute any specific task related to managing your business. It can include everything from the information you gather, the way you gather it, to the system's you use to incorporate to the information in the execution of your task. your operations is to create the highest level of efficiency possible for your business as a whole. 




My why (true story)

I started my business in 2008 with an ad on Craigslist. I put one post on Craigslist and got a response and started working almost immediately.

That client was a Virtual Assistant and she came with several other clients she wanted to offload. And within what felt like no time at all, I had a bunch of clients on my roster. Was I excited, absolutely! I was ready, willing and able. 

And the clients spanned several industries which is EXACTLY what I wanted. To leverage my experience to learn and work across different industries. I had the skills so I could do the work for sure, 

but what I didn't have was a process…

So while I could do the work, I was struggling to get the work done in a timely manner because I was either spending too much (non-billable) time waiting for the client to send me what I needed (that I should have asked for before starting) and/or looking for it myself.

3 Reasons to start documenting your processes?

They are the framework around which everything else is built and grows. 

Because this is all on you. Rise or fall sink or swim it’s your business, your brand and reputation are on the line. And all of the time, money, sweat equity and skill and confidence-building you’ve done and will do, will not be able to grow and scale your business as a business if you do not have your processes in order. 


It increases efficiency - do more, miss less.

Processes foster efficiency. It creates a consistent experience for both you and clients which leads to higher client satisfaction which leads to greater client retention. 

Documenting your processes also provide a way for you to track your processes and progress. It allows you to monitor each step and improve on it step-by-step. 





Facilitates growth: 

As you begin to retain more client and grow your business, should you decide to outsource tasks by bringing on an employee or a virtual assistant, these things are already in place (btw, labor is one of the elements of operational management that we’ll be covering soon)


The bottom line

I'm not saying that you have to implement all of these elements today but I am saying that you should Implement them as soon as possible. You don't want to wait until you have 20 clients and have to go back and document the processes.

Besides, once you complete the initial setup, it is a huge time saver. Think of the time spent as an investment into your future business, saving your future business time and money.

I've just finished a FREE webinar on my step by step Client Intake Process. If you are just starting your business, this is definitely a must see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Business Name Branding

Who are you looking for and why is that important?

The 5 Step Client Intake Process